Tuesday, 28 May 2013

TROJAN RECORDS REISSUES


This great label which launched in the mid 60s, has had quite a resurgence over the last decade with new and old fans buying the great box sets and different genre collections,mod,ska,producers,dance hall etc,now I'm no expert on Jamaican ska whatsoever,i don't know the 1st thing about it,what I do know is they put out some brilliant singles en masse thru out the late 60s and early 70s mainly catering for the skinhead youth of Britain.my knowledge extends to some of the more popular tunes that where made famous by various 2 tone bands from the late 70s and early 80s,whilst on holiday I had the book "young gifted and black" the story of Trojan records, its a great read and really opened my eyes to this music and the legend around it, it also dispelled  what I thought the label was about, which I thought was a Jamaican based label, was in fact started in London and tended to focus more on the producer then the artiste, over the years Trojan has been in various hands, not surprising with the huge back catalogue, plus other labels which are actually Trojan imprints,meaning the producer had his own label imprint such as doctor bird,its a huge minefield of music and only for the dedicated to put together and chase down every release,the resurgence of vinyl has prompted Trojan to do a release every month of some old tracks that have never seen the light of day,7 inch singles and 10 inch eps in 180grm vinyl are released every month in numbered quantities of 500,the early ones have sold out and are fetching some crazy money on eBay all ready, they look great,the tunes are great the artwork is great,whats not to like? I've chased down a few older Trojan singles via eBay and I cant really believe that I've missed out on some really really great music,plus other labels such as island,treasure isle,top deck and much much more,also websites such as pressure sounds reggae record
providing some great 7 inch vinyl releases.
Me? well I'm buying the Trojan and boss shots releases every month and giving them a spin rather then putting them away never to be played,after all that's what music is for!



No comments:

Post a Comment